You guys, I have a three month old. How? How?
This month has been equal parts amazing and adjusting. Her personality is developing more every minute, which is incredible to watch, but it also means she's figured out some of what she like/doesn't like and has learned how to demand it! :)
- Weight: (coming soon)
- Length: (coming soon)
- Eyes: blue, a little less gray now.
- Hair: Brown. It's growing back in where she lost it in front and the hair that never left is super long.
- Size: Finally graduated to size one diapers. Still in some newborn clothes, mostly bottoms, and wearing mostly 0-3 in tops. I see newborn items now, especially shoes. and they look so tiny. It's hard to imagine that she was ever that small. My three month old feels huge compared to that, even though lots of folks say she's pretty tiny.
- Looks: Like Dad from the front, but a little more like me from certain angles. I still want to nibble the heck out of her chin.
- Personality: Still mine.
- Nicknames: E, E Baby, Squish, Juicy, Sweet Juice, Baby Girl, Juice Juice
- Feeding/Sleeping: Four hour feeding stretches and six hour sleeping, I'll take it!
- Baths - she learned how to kick those legs and splishy splash!
- The night dance with Dad. I cannot, for the life of me, put my child to sleep at night. Even if she's full, it's like she smells me and gets all milk crazy. So I hand her off to Alex and he does this little be-bop routine around the house until she's out like a light. Win!
- She's still pretty cool with strangers/people she doesn't see that often.
- Wiggling. I really don't know how to convey how much this child wiggles. We affectionately call it "swatting bee's" because it's every extremity flailing at once but she's as happy as can be!
Other highlights and happenings this month:
- Everything changed with growth spurt between week eight and nine. At week seven we could take her anywhere. By week ten we were kind of like, OMG can we ever eat in public again? She doesn't sleep as much, and she needs more entertainment. Of course at the time of typing (week thirteen) we've sort of figured out her new-ish needs/routine, but every time she takes a little fit, I'm reminded of the quote I saw once on this blog and just keep repeating it - "Babies be babies". Meaning, sometimes they're just going to act like babies so don't lose your mind over it. It really helps!
- That said, she hardly ever wails or cries insanely, (unless she's in pain, more on that in a minute) it's more like she's fretful and can't get comfortable. She doesn't really like to be held in a sitting position, she much prefers "standing". Sometimes it take several tries of shifting with her giving us, "aaah, aaah, aaah's" as feedback until we figure it out. Her preferences change by the day...
- She discovered her hands! On the 18th Alex and I both separately noticed that she was holding out her right hand and staring at it. Even though she's had a funny arm thing since birth the way she was doing it was definitely more intentional. By the next morning, playing on her activity mat, she was grabbing and holding on to her toys and pulling them towards her mouth. It's like we literally get to watch her grow and it's the most amazing thing!
- The lowlight this month was a major case of diaper rash. Major. (Ring the bad mom alarm.) It got out of hand and fast. Within a day it was so raw I couldn't bear to put a diaper on her so we spent the day shifting out old blankets and towels underneath her and reapplying creme and trying not to feel like complete jerks for letting it get so bad. That painful cry she had will haunt me for the rest of my days. Completely heartbreaking. But luckily she healed quickly and within 24 hours we were a much happier family.
- She snores. Like full on tiny baby snores. It's pretty adorable.
- Teething. Well, more like gumming. We're cruising through at least 3 bibs a day from drool and her gnawing on them. She won't take a pacifier and so far I can't get her to understand teethers, she just licks them and smiles. :)
- So. Many. Smiles. A few almost giggles, too!