An Open Book

Thursday, March 5, 2015


You know how they say putting things in the open helps hold you accountable? Well, here goes... I'm writing a children's book!

This is something I've thought of from time to time, always dabbling a little with the idea but never committing. Recently though, I came across this interesting set of questions, which Alex and I asked each other just for fun during a road trip. Number fourteen really stuck with me...

"Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? 
Why haven’t you done it?"

The answer to the first part was easy, but the second part - not so much. 
Why hadn't I done it? Lack of time? Fear? Clueless-ness on how to make it happen?

The awareness that those reasons are really just excuses, combined with having a baby and realizing that life is flying faster than ever, I succumbed to the fact that if I'm ever going to do this, it's now or never. 

So I thought I'd start by putting it out there, be an open book if you will. How much, and what parts of the process I'll share here is still undecided, mainly because I don't want to let myself get too distracted from the project by writing and sharing about the project. But I'm asking you to help hold me accountable. In the past I've been too shy about my goals. It's much easier to quit when no one's watching. (For the same reason I'm a better yogi in class than at home. Holy reverse triangle pose, am I the only one??) So, if we meet in passing, inquire about it. If you're curious about the progress, send me an email or hit me up on social media. It would be so helpful to have you as my buddy system. 

I'll be the first to admit that I've had my share of incomplete grand ideas. From a stationery business a few years ago to Mary Kay back in the day, plus a few others dispersed in between. And though the reasons that those never "took off" died with the ideas themselves, I'm cautiously optimistic that I have the patience, versus the passion, for this project. I'm starting because I love this little story, because creativity makes me happy, and because if I can put those together and create a fun, positive message for the little ones in this world, I'd consider that a success. And if there ever does come a day that I get frustrated with finding an illustrator, exhausted of trying to edit in between baby's naps and dirty diapers, or any other excuse to consider giving up on this little dream of mine, I'll have this as a reference to remember why I started. 

To wrap it up, I'm so excited. It could be awesome, it could fail miserably. But I'm going to give it my best shot. Here goes! 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on pursuing your dream! I'm finishing up my older children's book myself (for ages 9–12), and a friend in my writers group is writing a picture book that her husband is illustrating. It's a lot of work, but so exciting. I wish you the best of luck, and I cannot wait to hear more about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you as well! How exciting to be at the finish line!
      And thank you for your support!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations–what exciting news! Following your dreams has been the single most important thing John and I have done, and no matter the outcome, it's always, always paid off. I absolutely cannot wait to hear more about the project!

    ReplyDelete

You want to leave a comment? How very sweet of you!