An Anything but Ordinary Day

Tuesday, September 2, 2014



In honor of Alex's birthday today, which is also his last one baby-less, it felt appropriate to share the moment he found out he would be a Dad.

After my third positive home pregnancy test on April Fool's Day, I decided to wait until April 2nd to break the happy news to him. (I think I needed a day for it to sink in myself, and I also didn't want to jinx anything in case the universe was fooling me.) Around the end of March we purchased a new camera and I hadn't had a chance to practice with the video feature yet so it was the perfect excuse to play around on an afternoon walk and reveal the surprise. Even though I knew the footage would be pretty amateur I wanted to capture the world that day so we would never forget it. The breeze blowing through the trees, the first blooms of spring.

Life before everything changed.

My plan was to tell Alex on the beach, since it's a favorite spot of ours, but it was unexpectedly too breezy and we couldn't last long so the news broke afterwards, back home at our dining table. (He still had his coat on because we were only planning on being home long enough to drop off the camera before walking to dinner.)

Happiest of birthday's to my sweet dad-to-be. Thank you for sharing this "ordinary" life with me!

As of yesterday I'm officially seven months pregnant. The start of the third trimester. The home stretch. It's emotional to watch this again now, with our little one squirming inside my bigger belly. There's a realness that I couldn't predict on April 2nd, 2014. No one could have prepared me, just as I know no one can prepare me for a newborn, a toddler, or a teenager. One day at a time is my favorite plan. I don't want to rush, I don't want to "just wait". This moment is all we have and I'm loving it.


P.S. The song in the video is called "Ordinary" by Copeland.  Alex had been playing it around the house constantly around that time.  As I was editing the video snippets together it was in the background and just seemed perfect. Obviously, I'll never be able to listen to it again without tearing up. It's as special as our wedding song!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to leave a comment? How very sweet of you!