Black Cat Crazy

Monday, November 5, 2012



I fully admit that my appreciation for typically unlucky icons and superstitions might be a bit unique.  And while I never set out to be a mother of two black cats, (somehow pets end up finding you), it's obvious why they're one of my favorite items on that list.

When Halloween happens there's an influx of black cat merchandise and decor available and it's fun to see "my babies" all over the place during the month of October (and on sale in November!) I'm always on the lookout for little items to add to our collection. (Their current water bowl is a black cat candy dish.) While this post was meant to be a round up of some puuurfect black cat items, in my research I discovered some interesting and somewhat surprising data, for instance, did you know that black cats are only half as likely to be adopted as cats of other colors? The thought breaks my heart! While I can't imagine life without our sweet Pete and Mojito, I'm always surprised by humans who somewhat believe that black cats are bad luck or wouldn't trust having them around. A former landlord wouldn't step foot in our apartment because of them - an interesting security measure nonetheless.

Luckily, there are some people and organizations working hard to find loving homes for these beautiful babies:

Black Cat Rescue Boston
10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Cat 
If you're around Cleveland, 6 shelters are offering free black cats on November 6th!
And speaking of cats, this is just funny.

Soo...what's your favorite animal indulgence? I'm addicted to #cats_of_instagram!

3 comments:

  1. That's so sad about the adoption rates of black cats...and totally ridiculous.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, aw- seeing "my babies" everywhere. That's so cute! And I felt that way too. Growing up, our cat for 16 years was a black cat and I too, felt this special connection with Halloween because of it. It also helped that she was one of the nicest cats ever. I miss her.

    I am really obsessed with Squirels- like completely. I rarely see their merchandise around but when I do, I get so excited. I also like Tortoise things.

    And I never know where to respond so I'm going to respond here- I love your response to my Chicago post. I love that you love it so much and feel so grateful to have the experience you're having. It honestly makes me more excited for when the chips finally fall in the right place and I can make my way over there :) Love you hugging the skyline- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the loafers!!

    I am sucker for owls and horses. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete

You want to leave a comment? How very sweet of you!