July 30th, 1997

Monday, July 19, 2010

Today I am sixteen. I want a car but I'm not expecting one. I know money is tight and I've never been the type to ask for things. I never even picked a dream car in my mind.

I'm getting ready for a birthday date. My hair is in curlers and my boyfriend is coming to pick me up. I live just down hill from my grandparents and I get a call to come there right away. Growing up constantly monitoring their health, not a minute is spared. I race up the hill in my cutoff sweat pants and pink tank top, curlers to match. Breathless, I notice a strange car in the driveway. A 1987 Chrysler LeBaron. The family is standing around clapping. It takes a minute for me to realize that this car is mine. After moments of disbelief, I sit down and notice everything. As I close the door a voice says, "Please fasten your safety belt."   What was that?? This car talks to me?!  From that day forward, the voice became Francois and he alerted me when my fuel was low, a door was ajar, or maintenance was needed. He wasn't new, he wasn't perfect. But he was my Francois.




See more of the birthday month series here.

12 comments:

  1. so sweet! You look adorable in curlers ; )
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! & Yes, you actually could pull off wearing curlers to the grocery store if need be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, that is very cute! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Birthday month is. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look SO good that I didn't even realise that it was you in the photos! Yay, new car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! this is a really cool idea!!

    XOXO
    kiki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, I love to see your Mom and your Dad on the background! That was FUN/HAPPY post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ashleigh! this could not be any more perfect. have the happiest birthday month. cannot wait to see what other sweet memories you have for us! xo, h

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful... And you look so beautiful even in sweats and curlers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just realized I used beautiful twice. Lol. I hate doing that. =P But I guess I got carried away by the little page off your diary's best moments. =)

    ReplyDelete

You want to leave a comment? How very sweet of you!