Phnom Pehn, Cambodia

Friday, January 25, 2013




In early January I visited Cambodia. Even though the trip was short and most of my tourist activities were done through a van window, as cliche as it sounds, my life changed. Besides the obvious cultural differences - cows crossing streets at their leisure, little to no rules of the road - I was my touched by the kindness of the country, to visitors and each other. Poverty abounds, but I watched a factory worker who probably needed every cent he earned buy food from a street vendor and give his change to a bum.

I fell in love with the countryside, the scent of lemongrass and the queen of fruits. I cried the first time I was "attacked" by children begging for money. The temples a midst ruins had me in awe. And at night, after driving through villages of what we would consider shacks, upon returning to my luxurious hotel room, I would ponder the lives chosen for us.

It is said that one's destination is not a place, but a new way of seeing things, and this experience opened my eyes to the many things I should be so appreciative of, that I take for granted daily, and that the world is much, much bigger than my small little city life.

Here of a few photo's of the journey....










































No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to leave a comment? How very sweet of you!